Thursday, September 11, 2008

3.5 Interacting with the Market

On page 368 of textbook, the communication scholar Sheizaf Rafaeli argues that interactivity is not a characteristic of media. While media and communication channels set some upper bounds of interactivity, it is the actual use of a medium that determines the level of interactivity in each particular situation.”

When I first moved to the United States I started seeking for Brazilian publications in order to know more about Brazilians who had been in the US longer than I, to find out more about their lives in America. I found lots of websites and publications in Brazilian Portuguese, and it turned out that I became collaborator for one magazine as a translator. My voluntary work granted me an ad on the same magazine, and through this ad I was able to gather some people interested in learning how to speak Brazilian Portuguese.

In fact this experience would not be possible without the existence of those communication channels. They allowed me to interact with other Brazilians and Americans and share common interests. Through this experience I built up my network, and had the opportunity to share my culture and beautiful native language skills with other people.

Garota de Ipanema

2 comments:

Professor Cyborg said...

I highlighted this quote as well. I've seen Rafaeli speak at the Association of Internet Researchers conference. He's been at the leading edge of research and thought in the field. He makes an important here about interactivity--that it's interactive in use, not in design. So until students start blogging and commenting on others' blogs, the class isn't interactive. You provide a good example of how interactive networks can develop online.

violet said...

This is a very good example of good communication and the desire to interact. It amazing that technology can help us connect with people we want to but do not know where they physically are. We can meet so many people via the internet and increase our network of friendship.