Sunday, September 21, 2008

5.1 Dimensions of Organizational Messages

The question “When does a message have almost material force?” is indeed meaningful to me. Having lived abroad for almost three years makes me miss my country so much! So every time I visit my family in Brazil I make sure I bring lots of objects that bring me memories from home. For instance, I have some Brazilian flags, flip-flops, T-shirts, CD's, and lots of other little things that I am very proud of showing to other people.

Few months ago I was taken by surprise when I saw a big Brazilian flag outside a store by my house. When I entered the store I found out that they had lots of Brazilian products that I simply adore. The time I spent there was as of I was shopping in Brazil. Seeing so many familiar products – most of them stamped with a little Brazilian flag brought so much happiness to my heart. Hence, seeing my nation’s flag in the United States has always an incredible material force to me.

Garota de Ipanema

1 comment:

SS said...

I think a lot of things have material force. I mostly thought of name brands and logos as an example. People all over the work spend hundreds and thousands for handbags with LV, interlocking G’s, and interlocking C’s stamped all over it. Can you guess what I am referring to? Yep, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, and Chanel just to name a few. Yes these bags are high quality luxury items but how come their most popular selling bags are the ones with logos and monograms all over them? It is because the buyer wants others to know what they are carrying. But then you take a brand such as Hermes which is known to be one of the highest luxury name brands out there yet most cannot recognize their products or even name. Why is that? It is because their products often do not have logos on them at all. A friend of mine once asked me “Why spend $400 on an agenda when no one can recognize the brand? I rather buy the Louis Vuitton one for much less!” This same person then admitted that they bought a Gucci Agenda “Because it was a Gucci” and not because they actually like the product.