Tuesday, October 14, 2008

8.1 Self directed work teams

Nowadays companies expect that employees are able to do multiple things at the same time. In addition to that, whenever one employee is on vacation, on leave of absence, or even decides to leave the company, the remaining employees need to assume additional responsibilities in order to keep high production. Clearly there is no such thing as hiring an individual to perform one unique task.

On page 222 of the textbook it is implied that “when a team member is absent, no replacement workers are provided. The team is expected to continue a high level of performance by adapting procedures to compensate for the missing member.” Companies focus on results, and they pressure employees to keep high level of performance, even though other members of the team are missing. In other words, the show must go on.

Garota de Ipanema

2 comments:

PinkLady said...

This is a big problem sometimes. For example, recently one of my co-workers went on a long vacation and our boss expected me to cover for her. This was horrible because I was expected to do two jobs at the same time. Further, no one else helped out and I wasn't paid extra during this time. Productivity was low because doing two jobs meant that I was behind on both. The extra stress and frustration brought down my morale and motivation. Companies should be careful before they expect others to cover for a team member. In my case, it should have been a joint effort, where everyone pitched in.

violet said...

Well this sounds very difficult. I mean if i was supposed to do the work of my team member in the project it would be very difficult as i would have 3 other subjects to take care of. Well it is hard for me to imagine how this would work but i guess like you said the show must go on. So what i understand is that in companies all they care about is getting things done and not who gets it done.