Monday, October 20, 2008

9.2 Managing conflict effectively

Listening is indeed something human beings do not know how to do effectively, because people tend to speak more than listen. This passage of the textbook reminds me of my grandmother asking me if I knew why humans have one mouth and two ears. As a child, I gave her the right answer: probably because we are supposed to listen more than talk.

But when it comes to practical situations, we tend to speak abundantly, and listen poorly. On page 281 of the textbook the authors defend that “a key skill for people in conflict is empathic listening – trying to understand the other party’s accounts and their reasons for seeing the situation differently.”

Having had the opportunity to work in diverse environments I realize that it is really challenging to listen when the other part presents his or her truths. In my view, managing conflict with other people requires first of all the willingness to listen to what the other part has to say, without becoming defensive right away.

Garota de Ipanema

1 comment:

SS said...

I think the story of you and your grandmother is both very cute and wise at the same time.
his could be because no one wants to hear another person say negative things about them or hear why they think the person is at fault. Also, everyone wants to talk because we naturally want to defend ourselves when we feel like we are being attacked. I find that it is often helpful to take turns speaking and give each other a chance to respond after the other is done talking. Also, make sure both sides show one another respect by listening and giving their full attention.