Wednesday, November 5, 2008

11.4 History & Communication

I can not help! My main topic for today is Barack Obama!
Since I earned the right to vote when I turned 16 years I have never been as interested in politics as I am this year. As a permanent resident of the United States, unfortunately I still can not vote in America. But I feel good that, through my communication skills, I impacted many people who voted yesterday.

As much as I agree with Barack Obama in terms of what America needs and he is the one who can make those changes happen, my main argument talking to American voters is the importance of acknowledging that if Barack Obama is in the power, the merit needs to be attributed to those African Americans who endured prejudice, humiliation, pain, and all sort of injustices in the past. It is not possible to forget History, otherwise the purpose of his glory is totally defeated.

The link between History and organizational communication I want to establish is that there are still lots of nonsense prejudice within the organizations (managers who favor some employees and mistreat others, misconceptions about cross-cultural employees, etc). Either implicit or explicit, it is crucial that organization communication deals with these dilemmas in order to have History of better work environment for everybody.

Garota de Ipanema

1 comment:

Janet S. said...

The biggest struggle of Barack Obama will be to unite the people under a black president. I think many states belief and trust Obama, but many of the southern states are upset about having a black president.

Lovemore Nyatsine praised the growth of our nation, but actually reified a negative term for our president... one I would never want associated with him:
"History has been made – a ‘nigger’ is America’s new president. "

Although many people hated George Bush, it was for because of his ignorance and aggressive war policies. I think many people will hate Obama simply for being black or having a muslum name. This hatred may be more quiet, but run much deeper.

I wonder how Obama will handle this hatred, especially from the southern states. Will he be able to unite Americans under the cause of economy, growth, and stability? Will his actions be judged by the color of his skin?

I certainly hope we can get over this whole "black president" conversation because he seems like a competent politician who is ready to stir up some change. I trust that his actions won't be any worse than Bush invading Iraq.