Friday, October 3, 2008

6.4 Organizational Identity

It took me a while to figure out where I would like to pursue my Masters Program. Because this is such an important decision, I wanted to make sure that whichever institution I decided to go, this institution’s standards should be aligned with my educational requirements.

Overall I was seeking a university which had a challenging academic curriculum and talented professors; and I was also searching for a university which had a diverse student body. After comparing the four institutions I applied for, I decided to go to San Jose State University due to its level of distinction and stability as an educational institution.

The remaining universities had many aspects in common with SJSU, though. After reading this passage of the book I realize that it makes all sense, given that people usually set similar requirements when searching for the institution where they want to advance their academic lives. As it is stated on page 108 of the textbook, “when we think about organizational uniqueness, we realize that this notion refers to differences between and among organizations – a fact that reminds us how dependent an identity is on its surroundings.”

Garota de Ipanema

1 comment:

SS said...

I was just discussing the attractiveness of residing in the Bay Area and attending San Jose State University. I have been very fortunate and lucky because all my classes have comprised of at least 60% or more international or abroad students. Also, over half of my professors have international backgrounds or have spent significant time abroad. It is also nice to be educated in the heart of the Silicon Valley where so many reputable companies have established themselves and new start ups are launching everyday. I really enjoy this type of environment because I feel like I am learning everyday in school and in life. There is also the opportunity or chance that I can encounter or discover something new on a daily basis.