Saturday, October 4, 2008

6.5 Organizational Identification

The following citation - extracted from page 112 of the textbook can be misleading, if all aspects of a situation are not taken in consideration: “Identification with an employer is apparent in behavior that communicates loyalty to the organization, its values, and policies.”

One experience I had at my former job – in the Retail Industry can be used to talk about Organizational Identification. By the time this fact happened, I had been with the company for almost two years. My manager set up a meeting with me to discuss the company dress code.
But it does not end here. According to her, some employees brought to her attention that I was deviating from the “norm” because they often saw me wearing branded clothes produced by other Retail companies. Consequently, they understood that I was not bonded to the company.

Of course I became defensive right away! There was not a dress code policy stating that I could not wear other branded products at work. In addition to that, as a contractor, I did not have the bonus they usually gave to full time employees so that they could buy clothes which “fit” into the category they established as “standard”.

I let very clear that I could possibly have avoided this situation if there was any documentation – such as a formal dress code in this regarding. Few months latter they announced that the company had a dress code policy so that everyone – employees and contractors could rely on. I feel really proud of my initial resistance to my manager’s feedback. If I hadn’t spoken up, I seriously doubt that they would have a dress code.

Garota de Ipanema

2 comments:

Sree said...

I agree with you. Unless there is a clear communication or procedure defined for employees to follow. It is not professional to expect employees to follow some unwritten rules which are subject to some particular persons interpretation of the situations.

If there was a written procedure or code that was communicated to you. Most likely you would have followed it and there would be no issue. Even if you did not follow it the manager could have easily pointed to the code and requested you to follow it rather than talking how others are not happy etc., which also excepts the atmosphere at work.

Mansoor said...

Well I believe dress codes can be good at times but not so at others. Usually most weighty argument people give towards having a dress code in an organization is to eradicate the social class difference so that no one feels degraded or embarrassed. I totally agree with that. But when you put a dress code like a skirt and dress shirt for women and a formal suite for men, it sometimes become difficult for people. Lets say a woman who does not want to show her skin to people, let it be a Mormon woman, or a Muslim, or from any religious background, and she does not want to show her legs to others, and she has been forced to wear a skirt that goes against her religion then thats kind of hurting her feelings, also if a man feels hot in a formal suite, or is not rich enough to buy many dress suites then he is in trouble as well. Apart from that I think yes, you took a good step.